Chukwudi Dumeme Onwuamadike aka Evans, who police has described as Nigeria’s most notorious kidnapper has filed a fundamental human rights suit at the Federal High Court, Lagos on Wednesday.

Evans is seeking an order that will compel the police to charge him to court or release him unconditionally from its custody.

Channels TV reports that Evans, in a motion ex parte said he has been detained by the police since June 10, and subjected to media trial and parade without any court order.

The respondents in the suit include the Inspector General of Police, the Nigerian Police Force, the Commissioner of Police in Lagos, and the Special Anti-Robbery Squad, Lagos Command as the respondents in the suit.

An affidavit by Evans’ father Stephen Onwuamadike said that the suspect has not been granted access to him, other family members, as well as his (Evans) solicitors.

Evans said the police breached Sections 35 and 36 of the Constitution of the Federal Republic of Nigeria for failing to release him or charge him to court.

The police has however said that it obtained a 3-month remand warrant from the Federal High Court, Abuja on June 22, on the detention of the suspect.

The warrant, it said, allows for investigation in Nigeria, Ghana and South Africa

Join the conversation. Leave a Comment

1 Comment so far. Feel free to join this conversation.

  1. Alexunique Legendary June 29, 2017 at 8:59 am - Reply

    Evans abi?