The music industry is still mourning the shocking death of Ivorian DJ and singer, DJ Arafat on August 13.
His motorcycle was said to have collided with a car in Abidjan on Sunday, August 11, 2019 leading to his death the next day.
Davido in reaction to the news posted an old picture of himself and Arafat while professing his love for the late artist with the caption, “RIP Yorobo. I love you”.
Considered one of the most popular African artists in Francophone countries around the world, here are a few things to know about him.
1. DJ Arafat real name Ange Didier Huon was born on January 26th, 1986 in Abidjan, Côte d’Ivoire to a singer mum, Tina Glamour and a musician/engineer dad, Houon Pierre.
2. He started his music career as a DJ in Yopougon, a night-life district in Abidjan.
3. He left for France to improve his career.
4. He is believed to have coined the genre coupé-décalé, dance music formed of choppy rhythms and hip-hop style vocals which became popular around 2009.
5. Arafat later became popular in Europe and the United States when some of the sports personalities popularized the dance steps of the coupé-décalé genre. BBC also described him as the “king” of Coupé-Décalé, which means “cut and run”.
6. Arafat released a total of 11 albums in his career, with his first released in 2000.”Dosabado”, “Kpangor”, “Zoropoto”, “Enfant Beni” and “Moto, Moto” were some of his major hits.
7. He was a lover of motorcycles and also featured them in his recent hit ‘Moto Moto’ released in May.
8. He is considered the most popular artist in Ivory Coast, with more than 2.3million subscribers to his Facebook page.
9. Arafat was named the best artist of the year at the Coupé-Decalé Awards in 2016 and 2017. He also won two WatsUp TV Africa Music Video Awards in 2016.
10. DJ Arafat though not married as at the time of his death, had two children with his girlfriend.