Maitama Sule, former minister of the Federal Republic of Nigeria, Ambassador Maitama Sule is dead. Sule was said to have been flown out of Kano two days ago to Cairo, in Egypt. The foremost diplomat was reported top have died of a heart-related disease.
Stargist.com brings you things you may not have known about him.
1. Yusuf Maitama Sule was a Nigerian politician, acclaimed orator and diplomat.
2. In 1976, he became the Federal Commissioner of public complaints, a position that made him the nation’s pioneer ombudsman.
3. In early 1979, he was a presidential candidate of the National Party of Nigeria but lost to Shehu Shagari.
4. He was appointed Nigeria’s representative to the United Nations after the coming of civilian rule in September 1979.
5. While there he was chairman of the United Nations Special Committee against Apartheid.
6. After, the re-election of President Shagari in 1983, Maitama Sule was made the Minister for National Guidance, a portfolio designed to assist the president in tackling corruption.
7. He died on 3rd July 2017.