Sloane Stephens is an American tennis player. She has won five singles titles on the WTA Tour and one Grand Slam tournament title at the 2017 US Open in which she received $3,700,000 (over one billion naira).
Here are 7 quick facts about her.
1. Stephens was born in Plantation, Florida to Sybil Smith and John Stephens, a professional American football player.
2. She started playing tennis at the age of nine, at the Sierra Sport and Racquet Club, in Fresno, California.
3. Her father was killed in a car accident on September 1, 2009, just before the start of the US Open.
4. At age of 12, Stephens stepped up her training once again by joining the Nick Saviano High Performance Tennis Academy, and switching to online-based home-schooling.
5. She graduated from high school in 2011.
6. Sloane has cited Kim Clijsters, Venus Williams and Serena Williams as her main inspirations in tennis. She also cited her grandfather as her biggest influence growing up.
7. Stephens is dating United States soccer player Jozy Altidore.